New Orleans History -- Lake Pontchartrain
Saturday, August 24, 2019
Search this site.View the site map.
 
 

Jackson Barracks



When the military facility was established in 1834, it was surrounded by a brick wall with loopholed towers at each of its four corners. In 1912, the levee in front of the Barracks collapsed and had to be rebuilt farther inland. To accommodate the new levee, the two front towers had to be demolished. This photograph documents the demolition of one of those towers.

Source: http://www.nutrias.org/~nopl/monthly/june98/june985.htm